Project updates

October update 1 Hammer(s) time

? Not sure what happened to last weeks update….. Any way onto October :-/

First up is some work on my costume and I have finally painted the sun on the front of the tabard. It turned out well and the fabrics paints are really nice and bright. I also finished sewing it all together, so it just needs some rips on the bottom followed by some weathering.

20171007_130237.jpg

Secondly, following the completion of my Space Engineers rifle I have begun a new prop weapon following a request: Mjolnir. This is intended to go with a costume and so I gave it some thought on what to make it from – wood, plastic, foam, 3D print or a mix. My 1st thought was printing one: this would be light weight but sturdy. Sadly, despite how easy I thought it looked, I was having some difficulty with modeling parts of it – mainly the bevels on the ends. Mmm need to practice a bit more. While I do that, I decided to give plastic a go. This one is feeling really sturdy and weighty, but would someone want to carry it around? May be not. Perhaps a foam one would be better………………..

May be I’ll end up with three 🙂

Advertisements

September update 3

This week I have begun sewing the tabard for my costume, next is painting the sun on the front.  More rings arrived and I have been preparing them by opening some and closing the others. Had to slow down abit though as my wrists were aching :-/

Finally I have almost finished my  latest prop weapon. Had to seek some advice from fellow members of the Facebook Proptarts about doing some text on it. Just have to choose a method now and finish it off.

20170924_160437

September update 2

This week I went a bit crazy working on one of the chainmail legs of my Solaire costume. I did pretty well and almost had enough, but just ran out of rings and need to wait for more to arrive. I also began planning out the tabard on my mannequin and drawing up the sun design to go on the front. Finally I’m nearing the end of my prop build with just  a few areas I’m not happy with and need a little more sanding/filling. Hopefully next week I can do this and move onto painting 🙂

20170917_181254

20170917_181335

 

September update

As September starts I’ve still working on a number of projects. Progress is being made on my costume of Solaire from Dark Souls. Well I’ve brought some materials and fabric paint to make the tabard, plus some more rings for chainmail. I hope to start this in the next few days.

20170907_180656.jpg

Other projects include sculpting an Overseer mask from Dishonored 2, painting up some of my sculpture casts and an other game prop weapon. Images to follow of this when complete.

Mould progress and shop

Having been ill recently I haven’t progressed much with my projects 😦 But I have managed to have a little play with the moulding and casting of my sculpture. At the moment I’m still learning where the best places are to put seems along with pour and air holes.

20170814_153810.jpg                  20170814_153817.jpg

The sword came out well after adding a few extra pour and air holes. The cape almost came out well but needs some mould modifications. I’m learning alot about this process and hopefully the last few moulds will turn out perfect copys first time.

Finally, I have taken some time tidying and checking the blueprints I created for reference when building props. If your interested in having a look, some of these are now available on my etsy store here. When I am happy with the quailty of my kit, it will aslo be avaible from the store.

 

Must make all the things

I still have quiet a few project on the go at the moment. The first I will talk about is my ostrich sculpture.

Work has progressed on my monster/ostrich sculpture. While I had an image in my head of what this would look like, I was open to changing the design as I worked. The body and legs were sculpted to depict musculature using both ostrich and dinosaur reference images. I left off the wings and also decided against adding arms. I liked the very smooth, simple, enigmatic mask and kept it. This was painted pure white as if it were white glazed ceramic. The feet; human feet had a little more detail (toe nails), but are smooth and were also given a white finish. Additionally the ankles of the feet were sculpted as if broken stone or pottery.

The muscles were painted  with a dark red and then dry brushed with a brighter shade. This was then painted over with a wash of red ink. Next using the reference images again, I’m going add varying shades of red. The base may be finished with black.

20170720_194222.jpg

I have also started the moulding process on my kit and have made my first two part mould. It has been interesting to experiment with which way to have the seems and where the pour holes should go. My first few cast will show if I have been successful .

20170716_181946.jpg

Next up is my Solaire costume and I have begun work on a pair of chainmail chausses. These will be the  most time consuming part of the costume and are being made of pre-cut aluminium rings.

Finally I have finished the blueprints for my next prop project. More information when I have begun work on it.

I’ve got plenty of things to be getting on with for now and more stuff planned for the future.

Sculpting time

My Solaire helmet is pretty much complete, just needing a red feather (when I find one).

20170617_165315.jpg

Before finishing a 3D printed bolt pistol and starting the sword and shield of Solaire, I wanted to do some sculpting. The first will be a re-make of my dust sculpt which I intend to make as a limited resin kit. The second is a  creature of imagination that is developing as I work on it.

20170625_204958.jpg

20170625_204653.jpg

I haven’t sculpted anything in clay for a while and while I’m enjoying this change, though I look forward to my next prop build.