This is a short write up of a mask I made recently and the method I used to ad texture.

This mask was inspired by Spartan/Corinthian terracotta mask (700 – 501 BC) that I saw on display at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK.

Rather than take photos as I have done previously, I decided to practice my sketching skills and brought a cheep sketchbook from the museum.

As with my other masks, I sculpted this with Chavant NSP Medium oil clay over a modified mannequin head. But where this one differs from others I have done, is with the texture work to make it look old.

Firstly the sculpt of the mask was left a little rough, though I took care to remove any finger prints. I also left many small imperfections such as marks where I had moved the clay around. Next I searched for something to make a broken pottery texture to the edges. After first trying foil, I found that a piece of actual pottery in this case a broken brick, worked best. This was pressed into the clay randomly to build up a texture, sometimes overlapping or being used multiple times on one spot. In some places this resulted in the form of the original sculpted being pushed in, adding further detail.

With all the texture work done it was molded and cast. I was happy with the resulting copy, which looks very much like a pottery mask despite being plastic. To paint, it was sprayed with dark brown and then roughly painted over with a max of dark brown and terracotta acrylic paint. I then built up the colour from dark to light using a sponge. This is a great way to add further texture. Finally it was given a coat of matt varnish to take away any shine.