This prop was made for a friend who sometimes cosplays as the Fourth Doctor from the British Sci-Fi show Dr Who
Unlike my other build write-ups there’s not really much to say about this one as it was 3D modeled, printed, sanded and finally painted.
Using reference images and size details I found on forums such as the RPF (Replica Prop Forum) I modeled it in 123D Design. As a fairly simple design it didn’t take too long to do. The original design had a movable neck which would twist/lock in the body.
This relied on the parts being accurate, so I printed them on fine quality. With all the parts ready I did some sanding and testing but the movement wasn’t smooth. Even with adjustments it still wouldn’t work correctly. In the end I created a copy of the first design and amended it so slotted together with no moving parts. This design was printed on my new mini printer which turned out to be a lot more accurate than my large one.
The body and head were assembled but kept apart and were sanded with 120, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. I was primed and sanded until I was happy with the finish. The body was then sprayed silver and the top red. I painted bullet tip with liquid silver leaf and any other details in black. Finally, to weather it I mixed up some black and brown paint and applied it to any crevices and joins, wiping away any extra.
I’m really happy with the quality of this print and I may reprint the original design on the new printer at a later date.