September update 2

This week I went a bit crazy working on one of the chainmail legs of my Solaire costume. I did pretty well and almost had enough, but just ran out of rings and need to wait for more to arrive. I also began planning out the tabard on my mannequin and drawing up the sun design to go on the front. Finally I’m nearing the end of my prop build with just  a few areas I’m not happy with and need a little more sanding/filling. Hopefully next week I can do this and move onto painting 🙂





September update

As September starts I’ve still working on a number of projects. Progress is being made on my costume of Solaire from Dark Souls. Well I’ve brought some materials and fabric paint to make the tabard, plus some more rings for chainmail. I hope to start this in the next few days.


Other projects include sculpting an Overseer mask from Dishonored 2, painting up some of my sculpture casts and an other game prop weapon. Images to follow of this when complete.

Mould progress and shop

Having been ill recently I haven’t progressed much with my projects 😦 But I have managed to have a little play with the moulding and casting of my sculpture. At the moment I’m still learning where the best places are to put seems along with pour and air holes.

20170814_153810.jpg                  20170814_153817.jpg

The sword came out well after adding a few extra pour and air holes. The cape almost came out well but needs some mould modifications. I’m learning alot about this process and hopefully the last few moulds will turn out perfect copys first time.

Finally, I have taken some time tidying and checking the blueprints I created for reference when building props. If your interested in having a look, some of these are now available on my etsy store here. When I am happy with the quailty of my kit, it will aslo be avaible from the store.


Must make all the things

I still have quiet a few project on the go at the moment. The first I will talk about is my ostrich sculpture.

Work has progressed on my monster/ostrich sculpture. While I had an image in my head of what this would look like, I was open to changing the design as I worked. The body and legs were sculpted to depict musculature using both ostrich and dinosaur reference images. I left off the wings and also decided against adding arms. I liked the very smooth, simple, enigmatic mask and kept it. This was painted pure white as if it were white glazed ceramic. The feet; human feet had a little more detail (toe nails), but are smooth and were also given a white finish. Additionally the ankles of the feet were sculpted as if broken stone or pottery.

The muscles were painted  with a dark red and then dry brushed with a brighter shade. This was then painted over with a wash of red ink. Next using the reference images again, I’m going add varying shades of red. The base may be finished with black.


I have also started the moulding process on my kit and have made my first two part mould. It has been interesting to experiment with which way to have the seems and where the pour holes should go. My first few cast will show if I have been successful .


Next up is my Solaire costume and I have begun work on a pair of chainmail chausses. These will be the  most time consuming part of the costume and are being made of pre-cut aluminium rings.

Finally I have finished the blueprints for my next prop project. More information when I have begun work on it.

I’ve got plenty of things to be getting on with for now and more stuff planned for the future.

Sculpting time

My Solaire helmet is pretty much complete, just needing a red feather (when I find one).


Before finishing a 3D printed bolt pistol and starting the sword and shield of Solaire, I wanted to do some sculpting. The first will be a re-make of my dust sculpt which I intend to make as a limited resin kit. The second is a  creature of imagination that is developing as I work on it.



I haven’t sculpted anything in clay for a while and while I’m enjoying this change, though I look forward to my next prop build.

Current projects

Following the completion of my Fatman I decided to start two projects.

The first is to try and make and finish a costume. Unlike prop weapons I can never seem to finish a full costume. This time I am aiming to make create the armour and weapon of Solaire from the Dark Souls series. The chainmail is something I already have so all that is required is a helmet (see below), sword, shield, belt, scabbard and tabard. Should be easy right?


Helmet nearly complete

The second is is to recreate one of my old sculpts and attempt to make a kit from it. This is something I haven’t done before and should test my sculpting and mold making skills.

I will post updates as I finish the parts of the Solaire costume and the sculpt and kit.

Main part done

Painted man 2

The main part of the Fatman is now complete and painted. To finish of the whole project I’m making the sled for the mini nuke. When this is done I will post up the build and the painting and sled build in 2 posts.

While working on the Fatman I have begun my next project, a Warhammer 40k bolt pistol. This will be my first fully 3D project and has almost finished printing. When I have finished the Fatman and am happy with it I will begin work on sanding and finishing.

Bolt pistol.jpg